[conspire] Donner und blitzen

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Sep 12 05:51:11 PDT 2009

I've been up in the middle of the night on account of 24x7 on-call
sysadmin duties, and -- wow! -- there's thunder and lightning out there.
What is this, September in Ohio?

Looking out at my back porch, where CABAL meets during dry weather, I
see dry pavement.  So, if it rained at all, it must have been light and
brief -- and then evaporated already.

National Weather Service has, at the moment, an almost perfectly useless
forecast for our address:  "Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms
(20%), high of 29 degrees C / 29 degrees C / 84 degrees F.  Some of the
storms could produce small hail.  Mostly cloudy.  West wind between 8
and 21 km/h (5 and 13 mph)."

Gee, thanks, NWS.  Is the cloud mass likely to have cleared the Bay Area
by noon and gone to the Sierra Nevada?  They have no clue -- but the
radar and satellite images seem to show one big storm system that's just
now moving past us, and nothing else to compare with it poised to our
west.

So, it's _looking_ like a dry and non-stormy, cloudy, warm day.  We'll
see around 1 PM -ish whether that's still holding.