[conspire] question about "thawte" - how secure are websites covered by thawte

Ehud Kaldor ehud.kaldor at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 15:07:38 PDT 2009

the biggest advantage of VeriSign (or Thwate, for that matter) is that the
browsers know them (their CA is noted as a trusted one in most browsers [or
is it the OS?]), which prevent the visitor to get the unpleasant/scary
message that 'the authority for this certificate is unknown' and force the
user to manually accept the cert. i cannot testify to the strength of their
encryption, or if it is better to create a CA on your server and sign the
cert with it.