[conspire] (forw) Re: Need help converting Dell machine to Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 1 18:59:20 PDT 2009

Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 18:59:09 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: zcamz at aol.com
Subject: Re: Need help converting Dell machine to Linux

Quoting zcamz at aol.com (zcamz at aol.com):

> I'm new to linux and would like some help converting an older windows
> machine (Dell Optiplex) to Linux. I would like to come to the Sept 12,
> 2009 meeting if that is still on. Let me know if it is okay to stop
> over. I downloaded CentOS and OpenSuSE and burned them to DVDs. I
> would prefer to install CentOS because it (supposedly) works best with
> Oracle (my ultimate goal is to work with Oracle on Linux, not on this
> machine though).

Hi there!

We'll of course be glad to help.  As you'll see at
http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/#distros, we can help out with
installation media, too.

With Oracle, you are indeed strongly advised to run the certified
platforms.  Last I saw, neither CentOS nor OpenSUSE was technically
certified as a platform for Oracle RDBMS.  However, certain RHEL and
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server releases are.  For most purposes (notably
not including Oracle technical support access), those might be close
enough.

If you would care to say what model of Optiplex, and how much RAM it
has, I might be able to tell you more.

Sept. 12 is indeed going to be the next CABAL day!

----- End forwarded message -----