[conspire] corrected to HP LaserJet4M Plus Re: HP LaserJet4 - CUPS lists printer twice

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 1 15:07:23 PDT 2009

Quoting Tony Godshall (tony at of.net):

> Yes exactly, JetAdmin is not needed.  Was I arguing that it was?

No, you weren't.  Sorry about that.  1.  Busy day, and I didn't
give your post as attentive a read as I should.  E.g., I didn't
fully parse that bit about recent HP printers having ability to
configure via HTTP.  Which is cool.  Anyway:  2. I was just really
trying to stress, for _other_ people's benefit, that setting up a
JetDirect-equipped printer for network functionality is simple.

Why?  Because, as I believe we all saw upthread, there seems to be a
persistent misconception that you should hang such printers off a
parallel or USB port, because configuring them as network printers must
be impossibly complex -- or something like that.  (Darlene apparently
had been advised to hang her network-capable off her machine and ignore
the JetDirect interface for the really rather bad reason of her not
having a DHCP server.)

So, I just wanted to stress that it's not actually difficult, and well
worth trying.