[conspire] Another low-power server

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 7 18:56:31 PDT 2009

Quoting Luke S Crawford (lsc at prgmr.com):

> Hm.  I thought the new ARMs had a FPU.  the OMAP stuff?  It's not
> really my area, I just hear chatter about it because it is Sarah's.

Unfortunately, it's way out of _my_ area.  Having worked at a couple of
server manufacturers, I'm used to "Any CPU family as long as it's
Opteron or Xeon" and "Power consumption?  What's that?" attitudes, and
am trying to get over that.

Anyhow, I just now did a little searching, and you appear to be
absolutely correct concerning (at least) Marvell's recent ARM7-family
CPUs _do_ have FPU functions.[1]  Also, FWIW, it seems that Marvell
acquired Intel's XScale division in Dec. 2006, and so their recent chips
have gained features from that RISC/embedded architecture as well --
while still keeping processor power dissipation typically below 2.0W.

Good to know.

[1] http://www.linleygroup.com/pdf/WP_MRVL.pdf