[conspire] No more GNU HP Minis

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu Nov 12 21:39:24 PST 2009

Rick Moen wrote:
> [...]
> higher "adoption rates".  I don't, it doesn't benefit me, and it tends
> (at least, done the way you seem to intend) to do active harm to what I
> _do_ care about.
>
> And my mother didn't raise any idiot sons, nor any with much liking for
> ideology.
>

>>> And it isn't.  Joining our community is dirt-simple, and we've the
>>> most comprehensive set of information and welcoming, active presence
>>> on the Internet of any software community that's ever existed.
>>>
>> No, it is not dirt simple.  It has a high bar with a lot of studying,
>> time and energy.
>>

> Oh, bullshit.  Unless you're stupid enough to do something like attempt
> OpenSUSE 11.1 on a recent-model netbook, you just put the disc in the
> slot, boot the machine, and hit the spacebar repeatedly with your
> forehead to accept all the defaults.
>
> And what I actually _said_ was (emphasis added) that -=joining=- our
> community is dirt-simple, that we've the most comprehensive set of
> information and welcoming, active presence on the Internet of any
> software community that's ever existed.  I didn't say that all
> conceivable tasks are easy.  Computers are amazingly complex, because
> they are truly general-purpose devices, much more so than pretty much
> any other device.  Therefore, OSes that give access to wide ranges of
> their capabilities are necessarily both complex themselves and avenues
> to reach and deal with extremely complex problems at other levels
> (hardware, applications, systems).
>
> I'm pretty sure you already knew al that, and knew perfectly well the
> difference between -=joining=- our community (what I actually spoke of,
> and is dirt-simple) and an aribrarily large set of complex problems that
> people then might end up dealing with.
>
> So, again, you basically ignored what I said and went for a meaningless
> ideological sound-bite.  This is an extremely annoying habit of yours.
> You should fix it.
>

>> But you straddle two sides of the fence on this.   On one hand you are
>> one of the most powerful educators and spokesmen for GNU systems,
>> performing daily important work in education, community involvement,
>> and  support in so many ways that I don't want to embarrass you in
>> public  listing all the groups and efforts that you have silently, and
>> not so  silently maintained over the years. leading installfests and
>> political  action work for the willing for decades...
>>
>> but your writing off the public as too lazy and undeserving if they
>> are  not willing to  buy computers, and correct me if I misunderstand
>> here
>>

> Yes, you sure as hell misunderstood.  And I have to wonder if it isn't
> willful.
>
> First and foremost is your bullshit about "undeserving".  Right on cue,
> you've decided to inject moral posturing into the discussion, where it
> was not present.  Worse, you've projected it onto _me_.  Frankly, how

Frankly, it is a fools errand to try to detach moral issues from
technology.  It can't be done, no matter how much anyone would want it
to be done.  Technology shapes the way people and society thinks and the
access to. control of, and the use of technology is THE CORE political
and moral question, strangely enough, even predating digital machines,
and continues on in ever more pressing ways all the way to today.

In fact, through the course of this conversation, I haven't personalized
this at all.  But I will dare challenge the misconception that Free
Software is "just" a technological issue and its wide adoption not of a
vital import to all aspects of a health future civilization, weather you
perceive it that way or not.

It is not a surprise to me that major Free Software people are often the
biggest  obstacle  broad adoption of Free Digital systems.  It is common
placed from RMS, Linus, Perens, Raymond, Theo, Christiansen, Guido, Nat
Friedman, Miguel de Icaza/, /Bradley, Wendy Seltzer, Moglin, Lester et
al to Joe Sophmore from Berkly University who just got off his first
installfest last week.  No of which has to do with what I was originally
posting about or how you responded.

As have many people on this list, I've had contacts, shared lectures,
spoke to, taught with, lectured, with a broad range of opinions, people,
experiences, and have invested a good part of my life working at
teaching, helping and working through Free Software people and events,
often to see them break down to petty bickering, such as when the Gnome
Foundation people walked out of RMS's speech, to seeing Eric Raymond try
to slug someone at FAO Schwartz at an IBM sponsored party.  I don't  SEE
why this conversation has had to become so personal and so terse over
NOTHING.

Do you think I didn't see Revolutionary OS and listen to your
interviews?  Do you think I haven't read both you and Don Marti's
writings for nearly a decade, to have read dozens of mailing lists?  Do
you think that this simple, insignificant thread should be a reason for
me to throw out 5 plus years of friendship between you, Rick, and I,
because you feel strongly about aspects of my request?  You know,
everybody has a bad day.   Hell, I've had a year so bad that it would
make your testicles twist.

What I've learned over the years is in the Free Software community you
have many strong opinions, and people with a variety of leadership
skills or political skills.  I try to be helpful and filling the aims I
deem essential, because I'm not in this for the technology...and in that
regard, it seems to make me somewhat unique.

I don't like it when my kids bring home text books on analytical
geometry and algebra where they spend half the course explaining how to
use slaveware rather than explaining the damn math.  I don't like it
when NYU Dental School ditched 3 years of work digitalizing thirty years
of its basic research and resources to turn over a quick and dirty buck
by making all their students buy DRM infested courseware and textbooks
that turned itself off at the end of the semester.

I don't like the evolution of computers systems over my lifetime and the
impact on the public, as systems have increasingly restricted access to
programming tools and have actively and convincingly convinced the
public that they are too stupid to do the fundamental programming that
can be mastered, and SHOULD be mastered by any 12 year old.

There is NO category 1,2,3 of people...there are just PEOPLE.  And
people are a product of their genetics, and their environment.  We now
have a generation of people who believe that the most productive thing
they can ever do with their computer is to twitter their moment by
moments wants and needs, and to download a video of their favorite
lunchtime antics to facebook.  And THIS has come to define computer
literacy in the 21st century.  And people in and outside of the
community have the cart and the horse backwards.  The reason people
aren't doing constructive work with their computers is because they
don't develop a health relationship with their computers.  They don't
develop a health relationship because the systems that are being
commercially thrusted on the public are designed to make them dependent,
not independent.
The schools REFUSE to teach real computer sciences.  There are levels of
bureaucracy designed specifically to prevent these essential modern
subjects from being adequately taught.  So I view ANY activity which
helps to end this deadlock, and to reverse this debilitating trend as
something I try to actively support,  which in fact includes any
breakthroughs in critical corporate support for  consumer grade free
software systems, preinstalled, whether the hardware sucks or not.

 > I made no moral judgement on who was or was not "deserving". Do you
> remember what I _did_ say?  Here, let me quote it yet again:
>
>   Yes, I'm aware that the public are in general a bunch of shiftless dolts
>   who use whatever OS, however terrible, is preloaded, and lack the
>   initiative to do any sort of actual operating system installation.  But
>   I don't have to join the madness -- and modern Linux distros with good
>   installers and live CDs make the process painless and risk-free,
>   eliminating all the usual excuses.  So, I have no sympathy for people
>   who demand preloads (let alone particular preloads).  _That's_ the first
>   problem they need to fix, the one in their heads.

I read this.  And I DISAGREE.  If you chose to end our friendship over
it, so be it.  I still DISAGREE.  There is nothing that is going to stop
changes in hardware, both innovative and bad, in the market place.  I
really don't give a shit weather a modem or a winmoden is installed in a
laptop.  What I do care about is that the software that drives this
hardware is not FREE.  The only hardware that is truly BAD is  hardware
that can't do what it is designed to do.  But this is yet ANOTHER
discussion.  But that discussion itself is just one more facet of the
drive to create software that enslaves the public.   God forbid that
someone should be able to write an alternative video driver, or a driver
for a winmodem, or a largely non compliant wifi chipset.  That would
allow you to put a FREE SOFTWARE system on the device and then you can't
guarantee everyone will use the E*Reader on the Q Train in the morning.
And frankly, I believe that the logic that it is easier to get
manufacturers to comply with hardware standards is even a harder path to
hoe then getting them to release stuff with Free Software drivers.

Additionally,  I will not be dissuaded from my computer choices by
previous failures, or even patterns of failure in the adoption of Free
Software.  I believe that the broad adoption of Free Software, for all
the reasons I listed, and because of the great and long lessons of
history, is essential for the development of a healthy free society.
I'm sorry.  Some people worry about Global Warming, but I worry about
having the bulk of Human Intellectual creativity, the nearly 10,000
years of it,  and it's output shackled to a world of DRM infested
slaveware digital system.

I think this is more important than Gay Rights, Nuclear Proliferation,
Abotion, The Healthcare debate, Global Warming, Organic Milk, or just
about any other political and social issue that mankind faces today.  If
that is a nonsequestor  issue, so be it.  That is how I feel.  That is
why I use Free Software, and that is why I have taught my kids to use
Free Software, and that is why I want HP to continue to make preloaded
MINI's with SuSE/Umbuntu or their own crackpot version of free software.

> That is a _fact_.  It doesn't call anyone "undeserving".  As to my
> willingness to bust my butt helping anyone, it doesn't make any sense
> talking about someone being "deserving" or not unless I owed an
> obligation.  As mentioned previously, I don't work for you, and I'm not
> working for the computing public at large, either.

Your not on my payroll.  So don't sweat it.  If you don't want to make
the inquiry next time your at a meeting on the HP campus, then by all
means...DON'T.  I was asking for a favor.  A simple "no" would be good
enough.  Even a "No with explanation that you believe it wouldn't be
productive" would be good enough.

> Neither you nor they
> have offered me a working wage for such work, nor have I accepted.

When I have a position for you, I'll call you.  But you should know that
if you accept my cheque that it will involve not just a source code
delivery, but work that I'd hope would be broadly in the public interest.

I'm just stupid that way.

> Remember that point:  Until I've accepted your salary cheque, my time,
> the sweat of my brow, and my expertise are my own to bestow or not as I
> please.  Nobody "deserves" it.  The rapidly dwindling hours of my life
> are mine.
>

>> But you straddle two sides of the fence on this.
>>

> It's called "nuance".  You could try it, some day.

What is the point of saying this?  Are you my ex-wife?  I don't find it
a nuance.  I find it as I explained it.  In no way do I ever want to
discourage you from ever making the contributions you do for all of us.
Whether you realize it or not, your contributions reach far and wide,
and work is for the public good.  And they positively affect thousands
if not millions of other people, people you have never met, people who
you might never meet, and people who will never know how the
contributions of "Rick Moen" have positively altered the fabric of their
existence, or who might never know your name.  But my friend, Rick Moen,
has been a truly stunningly positive force in our social fabric, the
worldwide community of humanity...and even if you never talk to me
again, I will still feel this way..and sorry Rick but there isn't a damn
thing you can say, no flame you can make, no sharp tonged or snarly
remark you can make which will change my mind.

> If you'd bothered to listen to me, any of the countless occasions I've
> addressed the topic,

Ummm - I do have six kids, I'm a Pharmacist on my day job,  and I do NOT
follow you around like a puppy dog...just saying.

> [...]
>    abandon, only a little, or not at all. Because of its open-source
>    licence terms, its raw source code is permanently available. Linux
>    cannot be "withdrawn from the market" at the whim of some company - as
>    is slowly happening to OS/2. (Ed: IBM finally pulled the plug on OS/2 on
>    December 10.)
>
>    Therefore, Linux users are not in a zero-sum competition for popularity
>    with proponents of other operating systems (unlike, say, OS/2,
>    MS-Windows, and Mac OS users). I can honestly wish Apple Computer well
>    with their eye-pleasing and well-made (if a bit slow and inflexible) Mac
>    OS X operating system: wishing them well doesn't mean wishing Linux ill.
>
>    Note that all of the identifiable "Linux companies" could blow away in
>    the breeze like just so much Enron stock, and the advance of Linux would
>    not be materially impaired, because what matters is source code and the
>    licensing thereof, which has rather little to do with any of those
>    firms' fortunes.
>
>    Further, and getting back to your original point, I honestly don't care
>    if you or anyone else gets "converted" to Linux. I don't have to. I'm no
>    better off if you do; I'm no worse off if you don't.
>
>    What I do care about is giving making useful information and help
>    available to people using Linux or interested in it. Why? Partly to
>    redeem the trust shown by others when they helped me. Partly because
>    it's interesting. Partly because researching and then teaching things I
>    usually start knowing little about is the best way I know to learn. And
>    partly out of pure, unadulterated self-interest: people knowing your
>    name is at least a foot in the door, in the IT business.
>
>    As to stridency, there _is_ a well-known problem of all on-line
>    discussion media. Some people become emotionally invested in positions
>    they've taken in technical arguments, and gratuituously turn technical
>    disagreements into verbal brawls. And unfortunately they tend to be
>    drawn to people like me who attempt to state their views clearly and
>    forcefully. It's as if you were to say "I like herring" and thereby
>    summon every dedicated herring-hater within a hundred-mile radius. The
>    problem comes with the territory.
>
>    But that causes occasional unpleasantness and back-biting _among_ some
>    on-line Linux users, not an aspect of "advocacy", which isn't something
>    we have much use for, generally - especially where the term refers to
>    convincing the unwilling.
>

>    Q: What do you hope to achieve by this advocacy?
>
>    A: I hope to have fun, to learn, to help those willing to "help themselves"
>    by learning about their systems, to become qualified to work
>    professionally with better and more-interesting technology, to spend
>    more of my time around people I enjoy, and to improve my quality of life
>    by improving the grade of tools I work with.
>
>    Please note that "converting users to Linux" is nowhere on that list.

from another email on this thread...

/
>Bollocks.  What you mean, I would wager, is "...because getting
>_incompetently selected_ hardware to work is a PIA."  Or you mean people
>attempting something really boneheaded like expecting the
>last-_before_-current release of OpenSUSE to work without problems on a
>netbook released within the past year.

> You cannot bullshit me about Linux distro support for hardware.  I've
> done it for a living.

No.  I meant what I said.  I KNOW system engineers who were big GNU fans
who have stopped using Linux because Hardware Support is a PIA.  And
strangely enough, as bad as commercial drivers are, a lot of the Free
Software work isn't wonderful either.  And even software like CDParania,
the CD ripper with I pulled apart, is hardly a masterpiece of C coding.

Want to talk to the guy who mostly reverse engineered and build the
software for the Sirus Radio network?  He'll explain it to you in more
detail and better than I can.  It's a good thing the program runs and
then stops, otherwise it would memory leaks enough to bring a mainframe
to a crawling halt...not to mention the security issues.

Talk to Billy.  He's also an instructor at Cooper Union.

billy at dadadada.net

Have a happy thanksgiving if we don't talk...

Ruben