[conspire] No more GNU HP Minis

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Tue Nov 10 14:45:47 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Tony Godshall (tony at of.net):
>
>> Wow.
>
> You know, I apologise to Ruben for being cranky on the subject, but
> I have become really tired of all OS advocacy, especially when I've
> explained very patiently why it's fundamentally pointless in an open
> source environment and why I find it a bit distasteful and annoying.
>
> The fact that it's coming from someone who says he _knows_ I hold that
> view doesn't improve it.
>
> I also long ago got tired of "Let's lobby the OEMs to ship Linux
> preloads" efforts, when IMO preloads are pretty horrible to begin
> with and there are far more sensible things to try to achieve, such
> as making available information on which models use good hardware that
> has publicly documented programming interfaces, so buyers can vote with
> their feet.

Rick:

Linux preloads are all fine and well for the "Case # 1" people who will
never update or upgrade or learn or care that they have sucky drivers
or whatever.

But for newbies who will learn or even for "Case # 2" folks who want a
quick easy entry (which includes almost everyone I know), yes, I agree
with you Rick that lobbying for more of the same kind of crappy OEM
preloads is stupid and pointless.

Ruben:

How about lobbying the OEMs to pressure the their suppliers for
more Linux-compatible chips?  If you make progress there, then I'll be
impressed.  But harping on Rick without listening to his points is just
annoying.

Oh, and by the way... the GNU stuff is just a part of a "linux distro".
Too much RMS Koolaid -> sound Koo Koo.

Tony