[conspire] Help with GRUB

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Wed Nov 4 10:26:41 PST 2009

Trying
to follow the suggestions has lead me into an “interesting”
obstacle course.

First
I burnt a CD for Kubuntu 9.10.  Very nice interface, but I spent a
long time searching through the applications looking for a plain
terminal window.  I did find a command line, but it only executes one
command and closes.  Eventually I tried the command `xterm &`.
That opened a terminal window.  However, it doesn't have root
privileges.  Anyone know the root password for Kubuntu running off
CD?

Next
I tried SystemRescueCD.  It starts with a big caution note.  Do not
attempt to mount directly to /.  Instead `mkdir /mnt/mydir` and mount
files there.  Does grub care where it is in the file system when
following Tony's suggestions?

Although
I still seem to be blocked from doing what needs doing, I have some
more description on the problem.

When
grub attempts to start windows, it halts on an error for unknown
partition 0x82.  I believe that 0x82 is LinuxSwap.  Actually this
symptom has been around since the original grub install, but instead
of halting, it flashed the message on the screen and proceeded.

When
grub attempts to start Debian, it halts on unknown partition type
0x7.  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=294074
suggests that my current problems may relate to how the MBR was
written when re-installing windows.  The same page tells how to edit
menu.lst to re-map the drives.

So
now I puzzle out how to either find an editing program on the
rescueCD, or work around the permissions to write menu.lst under
Kubuntu.