[conspire] No more GNU HP Minis

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Wed Nov 4 06:38:44 PST 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 12:22:14AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
> > Actually, i was trying the 11.0 :) .. Hey this model is being phased
> > out..it was the older one available.
>
> Still, it's awfully close to new.  My rule of thumb is that if a laptop
> (more than with other types of machines) might have any chipset that's
> newer than a year old, it's prone to driver problems on open-source
> OSes.
>
> You could certainly try 11.1 before going straight to 11.2RC2, though.
> ;->

I'm hunting for 11.2RC2 now.  What is befuddling me, and this has
happened before, is the processs to make the flash drive bootable.
Instead of any straight explanations for how to do this, a find a
constantly changing set of tools and instructions, often with
conflicting advice.  And what is really confusing me is that in my
understanding of the world before flash drives, this should be a simple
matter of copying the DVD to the drive and setting the MBR on the drive
to bootable.  Why should it be any different than when you burn a DVD
with an ISO image or making boot floppies with DD, in which case it
takes care of the MBR outright.  I'm looking at different parameters for
64 bit arch and 32 bit arch???  And I'm like, the DVD IS for 64 bit
arch...why the heck do I need different params for these stupid tools.

Ruben