[conspire] No more GNU HP Minis

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Tue Nov 3 16:08:17 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 09:52:34AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
> > I finnaly got a few bucks together to get my daughter a computer and LO
> > AND BEHOLD, HP Mini's no longer come with Linux pre-installed.
>
> Do you _really_ want some manufacturer's OS preload?  They have a strong
> tendency to screw around with the contents, and not to the customer's
> benefit.
>
> I tend to ignore the preload if any (none is better) and just vet
> hardware compatibility in advance, then load my own, my way.

On a Laptop it is a really big advantage, especially when depending on
WiFi drivers.  If the machine comes preinstalled with GNU/Linux then at
least you know two things...

A) - I'm not paying a darn MS tax
B) - All the hardware works with Linux.

For the first time in a decade I just shelled out a MS tax for a
computer and it really ticks me off.  Also, after 2 years of things
really looking up on the consumer end for GNU systems, we're back to
square one, or so it seems.  Staples is running a $75 instant rebate off
any MS 7 based system in exchange for any netbook.

Do you wonder what they are targeting?

Ruben