[conspire] No more GNU HP Minis

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Tue Nov 3 11:57:21 PST 2009

begin Rick Moen quotation of Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 09:52:34AM -0800:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
> > I finnaly got a few bucks together to get my daughter a computer and LO
> > AND BEHOLD, HP Mini's no longer come with Linux pre-installed.
>
> Do you _really_ want some manufacturer's OS preload?  They have a strong
> tendency to screw around with the contents, and not to the customer's
> benefit.

Besides, if you get a computer with a proprietary OS
preload, you can remove it and resell it before you
accept the EULA.

(It's fun to watch the cycle of manufacturer
introduces Linux box, Microsoft gives manufacturer
money, manufacturer withdraws Linux box, but it must
be annoying if you actually want to buy the product
in between steps 1 and 2.)

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org