[conspire] Outdoor venue: no more mosquito problem

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 13 12:41:54 PDT 2009

Since we're coming into warm weather, CABAL will soon be switching to
the much nicer space in my back yard (as soon as it's reliably warm out
there to 9 PM).  People may recall that, some recent years, there's been
a blight of mosquitos starting at dusk, that I've pretty successfully
held at bay through surrounding us with citronella candles (although
2008, for whatever reason had few of the blighters at all).

Well, we found the hellhole they're breeding in, and got it fixed:
Across the back fence are several neighbour yards, one of which has
a 30' x 50' swimming pool and pond.  Several years ago, the original
family moved out, and they sold it to a real estate developer in Palo
Alto.  The real estate developer rents it on a short-term basis to
VMware, Inc., which houses employees there.  It's apparent that neither
VMware nor the developer cares, and the developer obviously intends to
bulldoze everything.

Neither the scum developer nor VMware, Inc. have bothered to look after
the pool or pond, with the result that both are full of dirty water and
weeds, with a huge amount of standing water that's breeding mosquitos.

Today, I got the property inspected by the San Mateo County Mosquito and
Vector Control District, who are guaranteeing that they'll treat the
water today and then at intervals of 60 days or fewer, indefinitely, as
long as it takes, and will try stocking the derelict swimming pool with
"mosquito fish".