[conspire] (non-Linux, but CABAL-relevant:) A word from our kitchen

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Tue Jun 16 15:06:00 PDT 2009

On Jun 16, 2009, at 2:54 PM, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> I do not claim to know that tofu is healthy for everybody, but I do
> know that _most_ (not all) of the claims made against it are urban
> legends. In some cases, isoflavones have been found to _increase_
> thyroid function. In other words, YMMV.

Please show me ANY uncontested peer-reviewed study that claims this
about soy's isoflavones.

My endo specifically said that since it's thyroid meds or surgery, if
I wanted to avoid surgery, I should avoid ANY goitrogen for six
months. Since I'm having trouble breathing or swallowing as a side
effect of goiter (and not just some theoretical thyroid condition), it
seemed wise.

> Watch out for peanuts, anise, and fennel also.

And strawberries, pears, brassica as a whole, etc.

Deirdre