[conspire] (non-Linux, but CABAL-relevant:) A word from our kitchen

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Mon Jun 15 22:22:29 PDT 2009

On Jun 15, 2009, at 9:46 PM, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> You might want to read more about tofu, which is most definitely not
> fermented, merely coagulated. I do not know whether you will decide
> that it is unhealthful, but whichever choice you make, it should be
> based on facts.

Sometimes tofu's lumped in as being fermented simply because it's
processed. Tofu contains isoflavones, which are the very things that
curb thyroid production as soy's isoflavones are goitrogenic. [1]

For many people, tofu is processed enough. For me, even soy lecithin
seems to be a problem (in theory, it shouldn't be [2], but food
processing isn't perfect).

Eventually I'll figure out what the right mix of stuff is to make my
thyroid happy, but for the next five months, I don't get anything
that's even arguably goitrogenic.

On the bright side, I can have all the avocado I want.

Deirdre

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goitrogen
[2] http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=112