[conspire] (real) Installfest in a Box

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 15 17:25:38 PDT 2009

Quoting Grant Bowman (grantbow at gmail.com):

> Did you say "LUG in a Box"?

Nope.

> How would you like to proceed? How would you recommend I proceed?

Well, I'm personally not going to be really quick in any event, because
I need to do a bunch more work on my own systems to get them fully in
order.  Plus I have medical stuff on the horizon (some tissue in my
abdomen needs to be zapped by a 6 GeV linear accelerator daily for about
six weeks).  Plus it's just possible that the SVLUG mailing list server
may have just bought the farm (doesn't respond to ping; I have through
the miracle of inaction no physical access rights to the colo; even an
effort to see if it will reboot apparently won't happen until at
earliest tomorrow; prospect if it doesn't recover is a painful rebuild
and reversion to a nine-month-old data backup).[1]  Plus I just don't
bloody well want to commit in public to another damned project.

As to how _you_ would proceed:  I've already outlined approximately how
I would proceed if and when I'm ready to do so.  Maybe that outline
suits you too.  Or maybe not.  You can make up your own mind.  See, life
is good!  ;->

[1] I'd always made really clear that I was too backlogged to rebuild
the SVLUG mailing list server until my own house was in order, but their
target hardware is sitting in my garage anyway.  I've also been at great
pains to make sure the leadership understood that they were very exposed
to hardware failure on account of a non-redundant, old hard drive and
almost complete lack of backup practices, _and_ that I was in no
position to help the latter for lack of bandwidth and disk space.

So, none of that should logically be my problem, but something tells me
it's going to land on me anyway.