[conspire] The difference Apache tuning makes

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 27 14:24:07 PDT 2009

Quoting Tony Godshall (tony at of.net):

> Outstanding.

Probably needs some more work, because load is still wavering up and down
between 1.5 and around 10 or so.  But the immediate problem's gone.

> Would love to see a diff between your old and new configs

Oh, all I did was change, in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf:

  Timeout 300
  Timeout 20

and
  MaxClients          150
  MaxClients          50

and
  MaxRequestsPerChild  0
  MaxRequestsPerChild  1000

This is the prefork MPM on Apache httpd 2.2.8.

I held onto Apache 1.3.x as long as I could (on my own machine, anyway),
because I really don't like the mess that 2.x has become -- but that
means I'm playing catchup on wrestling the thing into submission.