[conspire] [take #2] cute little web page of Linux/Unix commands

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Thu Jul 2 10:38:48 PDT 2009

Tony,

Eric:
> Stumbled across this cute little page of Linux/Unix commands. Very
> nice little presentation:
>
> o   Linux Commands - A practical reference
>     http://www.pixelbeat.org/cmdline.html

Tony:
] Thanks for posting this.
]
] I didn't know the grep color extension or this particular date trick
]
] Yes, the date -d gnu extensions are pretty cool
]
] How about this?
]
] When does the warranty on my new 1.5TB HD expire?
] date -d '+5 years'

You're most welcome. Thank you for this date(1) example. I've been
wanting this functionality for a while, and didn't know that it already
existed.

I can now use it to notate future days in a database/calendar of mine.
For example, when does my snouted, four-legged son turn 3500 days old,
if he was born on 2001-03-27? (He just turned 3000 days old in June, and
I want to catch his next "major birthday".)

    % date -d '+3000 days 2001-03-27' '+%Y-%m-%d'
    2009-06-13
    % date -d '+3500 days 2001-03-27' '+%Y-%m-%d'
    2010-10-26
    %

Very useful for me! Thank you! I'm doing these calculations all the time
to remind myself to check for the release of DVDs in future, to check
the library for a new book being added to their circulation several
months hence, and so on. Most of these don't require "calculation" per
se, as they're integral numbers of months in the future, but some are
day calculations as above.

Cheers,
Eric
--
"The great French Marshal Lyautey once asked his gardener to plant a
tree. The gardener objected that the tree was slow-growing and would not

Eric De Mund   |  Y!: ead0002
ead at ixian.com  |  ICQ: 811788