[conspire] disk media recommendation for server

Calvin Wong deadcat at freeshell.org
Wed Jul 1 13:57:24 PDT 2009

thanks rick,

i was unable to find much about the usb sound card. guess i will have to order
another one.. )= paid $7 for that defective one.

as for the sd card. i haven't don't much research, but according to
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/
it should work. but most likely will install the os on a usb2 enclosure and
use the sd card as hourly/daily/weekly backup of the system

* Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> [2009-07-01 13:43:36 -0700]:

> Quoting Calvin Wong (deadcat at freeshell.org):
>
> > i just ordered a sheeva plug few weeks ago (still waiting due to back
> > order) it comes with a built-in sd card slot and 1 usb port. i am
> > thinking about installing the os on the sd card instead of external
> > usb drive.
> >
> > are sd cards reliable enough to have an os  (server) installed on? or
> > i should just use the sd card slot as backup partition?
>
> I personally wouldn't want to run an OS from one, if I could avoid it:
> They're slow at the media level (don't even think of running swap on
> them), and the controller chips for the slots are often really slow,
> too.
>
> Also, does your machine even boot from SD slots?  Most don't.
>
> If your machine does boot from SD, you _could_ boot from the card and then
> mount a RAMdisk image from the card.  That would save wear on the SD
> card, and give you much, much better performance.
>
> > also are there any usb sound cards that works with linux? debian.
>
> Yes.  http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevcat.php?id=7
> (Found by following "Working devices list" links from
> http://www.linux-usb.org/ .)
>
> > i have a hy554 3d usb sound card
> > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21813
> > but i think its either defective or doesn't work on linux.
> > so far it has not work on linux/windows/anything. just errors
>
> Probably cost you about $3, right?  ;->
>
> Some research suggests that it's from JMTek, LLC.  See:
> http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6842
> http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/User_Reported_Compatible_USB_Speakers
>
> Works for this guy:
> http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=49009.30
> Naturally, he couldn't be bothered to say _which_ ALSA driver worked,
> but he did offer the tip of booting with the USB device plugged in being
> the factor that made things suddenly work.
>
> This guy says:  Check your mixer app, as they've been known to default
> to muted.  http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296122

The only really decent thing to do behind a person's back is pat it.