[conspire] (non-Linux, but CABAL-relevant:) A word from our kitchen

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jul 1 12:44:47 PDT 2009

I replied to Paul Zander:

> I'm looking to grow some purslane and maybe also "lamb's quarters".
> Probably will have to order seeds, mail-order.  Deirdre recently used
> purslane (from the Menlo Park farmer's market) in a Mexican beef recipe,
> and the dish was sensational.

We now have a pair of purslane plants, picked up at Common Ground Palo
Alto.  Thanks again for pointing them out.

Deirdre posted an alphabetised variant of my "stuff we grow" list
(preliminary 2009 edition) on her blog:
http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/247633.html

Once I have the upstream document (which is divided by garden plot,
rather than being a single alphabetical list) corrected and with the
right amount of detail, I'll probably put it on the Web -- and then
maybe aspire to keep current on what's actually harvestable at the
moment, and what's not ready.

(E.g., Deirdre's list says we're growing various peppers, which is true,
but the sundry chili peppers haven't produced fruit yet at all, and the
bell peppers are still tiny.)

CABAL relevance:  Some attendees bring stuff to cook, and it's handy to
tell them they might consider picking some fresh rosemary, oregano, bay
leaves, fennel, dill, cilantro, chives, lettuce, and so on to use.  We
don't want people just jumping into our garden areas and slashing away
(and we're neither your grocery nor a community garden), but _asking_ me
about available veggies / herbs / fruit is always fine, and encouraged.

BTW:  Part of the plum harvest is in, and is already huge.  Much cooking
of plum jam seems likely -- and we've already had a couple of plum pies.