[conspire] Sat, 1/10 Installfest/RSVP

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Mon Jan 12 10:59:43 PST 2009

Rick Moen:
> Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):
> > Because it saves me the work of recompiling or upgrading software
> > that is running a production service.
>
> All my software that runs production services upgrades just fine.
> However, you haven't answered the question:   Why do you, specifically
> -you-, need a consistent application _binary_ interface?  Do you
> install a significant amount of fragile software that's available only
> in binary form?

No, but I have to take builds from developers and deploy them.  And
"oops shit my libgubble is different from the one you tested on in a
subtle way and that meant that the rollout turned into a 500-fest" isn't
acceptable.

Likewise, being able to build custom packages strictly for Hardy
*myself* is a great load off.  Having to target the crack of the week
would take time away from real work.

> I fetch testing-branch packages except where I qualify my command with
> option "-t unstable".  Thus, no unstable-branch breakage because the
> glibc maintainer got roaring drunk and was sobering up only around 4 PM
> Monday -- but I also have optional access to unstable-branch packages
> and their dependencies when/if needed.

Do you unify which packages are from unstable and which are from testing
across all boxes?  How much time per week do you spend on these
dist-upgrades?  And how many (order of magnitude is fine) systems are
you managing in this way?

> I never assumed that the in-queue mail would be stable between releases,
> (or major ones, anyway) and always flush the queue.  This has thus never
> been a problem.

And all mail exits the mailman queues in an orderly fashion?  Do you
just blast away the shunt/ dir with prejudice and hope it was all spam?
How many list messages per second back up while you're doing this
upgrade?

--
"It is not very unreasonable that the rich should            Nick Moffitt
contribute to the public expense, not only in               nick at zork.net