[conspire] (forw) Re: Sat, 1/10 Installfest/RSVP

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 9 21:54:18 PST 2009

Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 21:11:40 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: Gloria Bromberg <muymuy1109 at yahoo.com>
Cc: jim <jim at well.com>
Subject: Re: Sat, 1/10 Installfest/RSVP

Quoting Gloria Bromberg (muymuy1109 at yahoo.com):

> Hi Rick,
>
> I'm planning on coming tomorrow afternoon, with Jim (of SF-LUG:
> jim at well.com).  I have an Acer Aspire One netbook, which has no
> DVD/CD drive. I bought it used, with Ubuntu already installed, but
> it's messed up and Jim suggested a fresh re-install.   I'm bringing
> Ubuntu 8.04 on DVD, as well as printouts on installation obtained from
> Cabal links.  Anything else I need to bring to make this happen?
> Jim's driving; we're due to arrive around 3:45 - 4pm.

Hi, Gloria.  I have external CD/DVD drives on USB (and Firewire).
If your Acer is capable of booting from USB, then you're covered.
Otherwise, we might need to be creative.

You might wish to consider using my Ubuntu 8.10 media, instead of your
8.04 ones.

No, you don't need to bring anything else but a smile.  You might want
to be sure you have a warm coat or sweater:  Much as I try to have warm
cider or tea or coffee available to help, and leave the door to the
house open to assist, it's pretty cold in the garage where CABAL mostly
works this time of year.

If you wish, you're welcome to bring something to eat and/or cook.
There is no obligation, and you're certainly not obliged to share if you
do.  I'll probably be making a couple of things to share.

----- End forwarded message -----