[conspire] How much memory each process is taking up

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 23 16:10:29 PST 2009

I wrote:

> It's a Debian "squeeze" (new Debian testing track) P4 workstation with the
> xdm display manager running the Window Maker window manager:
> Post-installation, I reduced the number of "getty" processes from six to
> two by commenting out lines in /etc/inittab[1]

I forgot, of course, to write the needed footnote.  So:

[1] This assumes that your system using a traditional System V Init (aka
"SysVInit") process.  Ubuntu and kin are notable for having switched to
one of several candidate successors to SysVInit, something called
UpStart.  Therefore, on Ubuntu and similar systems, there is no
/etc/inittab file.

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

Apparently, all of UpStart's configuration, a set of "services" files
describing what system services to manage, and what events require
making changes to them, starting them, or stopping them, lives in
/etc/init/jobs.d/ , and I infer that you'd pare down the spawning of
virtual consoles by removing some of the ttyN (N = 1 to 6) "services"
files from that directory.