[conspire] (forw) Re: Arnold -> Rick

Carl Myers cmyers at cmyers.org
Mon Dec 21 16:18:39 PST 2009

Rick's advice is pretty spot-on.  I would add that in my experience running a
browser in wine (even firefox rather than MS internet exploder) is a real pain,
and tends to be pretty unstable.  If the user agent trick Rick suggests fails to
get you where you need to go, VMs are what I'd recommend.  I would guess a dual
core machien should be more than sufficient, too, so long as a single core of
the same type would be enough to run the microsoft OS directly.

What you would do is create a single-core VM and windows will pretty much peg
it, and your kernel and X and other linux "overhead" will use the other CPU.
You also want to ensure you have plenty of ram, probably having 3-4 GB total and
giving 2GB to your VM is sufficient.

Also, I suggest running windows XP rather than a newer OS.  Certain networks
make a version of XP available called "XP Performance Edition" which is under
300MB and has "all the crud" stripped out of it, so it runs great on VMs.  Of
course, I do not suggest running a copy of windows without a license, but I also
consider it well within my morals to use an existing "license" of XP that came
with my computer or I obtained via some other legal means to run the
"performance version" out there, since it has fewer features and is a strict
subset of windows XP.

Anyways, I hope that advice is helpful.  Let us know how it goes! =)

-Carl