[conspire] Unbound and DHCP on home computer

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Mon Dec 14 16:56:41 PST 2009

roger at rogerchrisman.com:
> To get my computer to ask Unbound for domain name look-ups instead of
> asking the router, per Rick's suggestion, into /etc/resolv.conf I put:
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
[...]
> Untill... MetworkManager _overwrites_ my "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in
> /etc/resolv.conf
[...]
> What is an elegant way for me to tell my computer to consult its own
> Unbound service instead of my ISP, and that will not be overwritten by
> DHCP every time I bring up my network interface?

Take a look at /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf, and you should see an entry
like the following:

	#prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

Uncomment that, and you should be golden, with localhost trumping any
remote DNS servers.

I do something similar, but with an "append" so that I get the benefit
of internal domains while I'm in the office, but with a fallback to my
unbound instance in the event of a flaky resolver.

--
Man, I love how everyone is like "In my blog, which is
a blog on the Internet, which you all may be interested