[conspire] Unbound and DHCP on home computer

Philip Martin phillip.martin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 16:44:28 PST 2009

a quick google with the terms: networkmanager resolve.conf ubuntu
seems to bring up a number of promising routes, ranging from disabling
networkmanager, to preventing networkmanager from obtaining DNS
information from DHCP to preventing networkmanager from writing to
your resolve.conf.

To clarify your comment on DNS, Unbound, being a recursive nameserver,
is actually seeded with a list of root nameservers (aka the "root
hints" file), which it then uses to move down the DNS delegation tree
until it can contact an authoritative nameserver for a given query.

It's worth noting that running your own recursive nameserver does you
no good security-wise if your DNS queries get hijacked by your ISP
(ala Comcast).  If you are interested in enhancing the security of
your DNS lookups, DNSSEC would also be a good thing to look into, even
in it's current fragmented form.

-Philip