[conspire] DD-WRT vs. OpenWrt

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 11 00:38:08 PST 2009

Quoting Grant Bowman (grantbow at gmail.com):

> What do you think about the eight alleged GPL violations?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd-wrt

Yeah, saw that very recently.  What is it about embedded software
people?  Don't they ever learn?

> OpenWRT works pretty well for me.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenWrt

Glad to hear it.  I'll consider the matter before Saturday.

I like very much the fact that the OpenWRT filesystem is fully writeable
and has a package format (opkg), if only because I was really not at all
liking the fact that DD-WRT includes only Dnsmasq and not a real
recursive nameserver, and that fixing that was going to require taking
apart and remastering DD-WRT.  So, major points to OpenWRT on that.

> Unfortunately I'll be busy in Berkeley at an Installfest so I won't be
> able to attend the Cabal.
> http://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylug/browse_thread/thread/7e2bf9c5b507f1f

Worth publicising, so: