[conspire] wireless placement

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Dec 10 18:25:55 PST 2009

begin Rick Moen quotation of Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 05:16:31PM -0800:
> Quoting Bruce Coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):
>
> > I actually try to get the worst possible RF coverage to the extent
> > homeowner allows that . I try not to cover areas where I don't want
> > people making wifi connections for security reasons .
>
> Contrary to my philosophy.
>
> I prefer to manage WAP usage through means other than making it
> RF-invisible (or invisible in any other way).

Interference, not security, is the main issue.
802.11b has fewer channels than CB radio, and channels
overlap.  (An AP on channel 1 will interfere with
2-5, for example.)  So a stronger than necessary
signal will make it harder for neighbors if there
are too many APs in a neighborhood.   Most APs will
let you turn the power down, but most people don't.
I like my friend's solution of putting the AP in
the basement: it radiates up to cover his property,
but interferes over a smaller area.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org