[conspire] Things for this Saturday's CABAL

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Dec 9 22:21:04 PST 2009

First, I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router to play with.
In fact, I have two of them.  We're going to be putting DD-WRT
open-source Linux firmware on them (http://www.dd-wrt.com/), and then
set one of them up as CABAL's wireless access point.  Which should
be a big improvement.

One of the long-term considerations is where best to put it physically.
I think I might contrive a way to feed its ethernet cable from the
garage under the house and up high into the dining room near the
kitchen, as that seems like, possibly, the place with the best RF coverage.

Oh, on account of the cold and possibly rainy weather, it's a sure bet
that we're going to move indoors in the garage, kitchen, dining room, and
living room for the season.

Bruce, help us out, and I'll think about giving you one of the WRT54Gs
for EBLUG.  ;->

Here are new Linux distro versions I've burned to disc.  All are
available for use or copying.

Knoppix 6.2
   This is now, once again, available in fully functional
   versions, and Knoppix now closely follows Debian.  The CD
   uses LXDE, while the DVD offers your choice of LXDE, GNOME, or KDE4.
   i486 CD and DVD.

Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala"
   There is now a netbook remix for Kubuntu as well as Ubuntu.
   As usual, I have alternate and desktop CDs for i386 and x86_64.

Fedora 12 "constantine"
   i586 and x86_64 DVDs

Sidux 2009-3 "momos" XFCE4
   i686 and x86_64 CDs.  My favourite live CD.  (There are also
   "KDE Lite" and "KDE Full" discs based on KDE4.)

Puppy Linux 4.3.1
   i386 CD

OpenBSD 4.6 Install Disk
   i386 and x86_64 CDs

CentOS 5.3
   i586 and x86_64 DVDs.  The leading community rebuild of RHEL.

Mandriva Linux Free 201.0
   i586 and x86_64 DVD + dual-arch i586/x86_64 CD

SimplyMEPIS 8.0.12
    KDE-based installable live CD.  i586 and x86_64 CDs.

SystemRescueCd 1.3.3
    i486 CD

Elive 1.9.44 unstable
    i386

FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE
    i386 DVD

LinuxMint 8 "Helena" Universal
    This is a Debian/Ubuntu variant with all the popular proprietary
    codecs, browser plugins, WiFi firmware blobs, drivers, and such,
    already installed.  i586 DVD.