[conspire] mystuff on external media

Rich Bodo richbodo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 23:25:34 PST 2009

Syncing:

I pay to solve the syncing problem.  I just sync the whole thing
regularly via jungledisk, which also resides on the usb stick in an
application folder (it has all three os binaries mac/win/lin).
Jungledisk encrypts all files on the stick before sending them to S3.

I usually go with FAT32 as well.  Only because I want to access the
drives on any operating system.

Apps - Encryption:

If you decide to encrypt, encryption is fairly trivial and can
actually save you time.  On the stick I have a copy of two encryption
programs, truecrypt, and password gorilla - binaries for each common
os.  These are cross-platform enough to make it easy for me to get to
my data anywhere. I highly recommend them.  Password gorilla is set up
to copy passwords to the clipboard when I click on them in it's
interface, making it a simple double click and paste operation to
enter a password.

I have two corresponding small encrypted files, one password database
in psafe3 format (something of a standard), and one truecrypt
encrypted drive.  Either can be opened fairly quickly on any computer.

There is usually some data I don't encrypt on the stick.  That data
syncs to S3 as well.

Apps- Browsers:

I have experimented with portableapps.com, and with some portable
chrome broswers (srware.net iron chrome), and opera.  Firefox is the
only browser that I have ever had good luck with using portably.
Chrome portable browsers I have used are for whatever reason either
very slow or very buggy.  Windows is usually the problem platform, so
that might not affect you much.

Other interesting implementations:

There is this company ironkey.com that gives you a usb stick in a
metal case for 70 bucks (on up) that has a portable firefox
implementation, as well as a password database.  It's kind of an
interesting little business.

It seems much less secure to me than doing it myself.  The key has a
hardware encryption chip in it.  If someone fails to guess your
password 10 times, they erase your data.  They also keep your password
at ironkey, and you can recover it from them if you give them some
personal data, or something like that.

There is also a business version, that phones home and allows a
sysadmin to blow away your data or disable the key.

-Rich