[conspire] corrected to HP LaserJet4M Plus Re: HP LaserJet4 - CUPS lists printer twice

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Aug 29 22:40:09 PDT 2009

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> > Er, Don said nothing about "leaving IP assignment to the client side".
> > He just said that it's counterproductive to allocate in /etc/dhcpd.conf
> > more IPs to the dynamic range than is needed.
>
> How are you going to assign IP addresses statically unless you code them
> into your client ??

Again, to repeat myself, Don said absolutely nothing about so doing.  He
merely recommended starting with a modest-sized dynamic range in
dhcpd.conf, to avoid wasting RAM.  If you don't believe me, check
upthread.

> www2:~ # ps -e -o rss,vsize,cmd | grep -v "\[" | sort -nr | head -10
> 95192 138204 /home/ruben/Desktop/firefox/firefox-bin
> 84776 200984 X :0

Please note that the X process's memory stats are deceptive, because
they include physical video memory.

(By the way: running X11 and Firefox on a Web server?  Better you than
me.)