[conspire] corrected to HP LaserJet4M Plus Re: HP LaserJet4 - CUPS lists printer twice

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 28 17:32:21 PDT 2009

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> in /etc/dhcpd.conf
>
> host lazerjet{
>                 hardware ethernet 00:24:ed:73:c2:8e;
>                 fixed-address 10.0.0.56;
>         }

Yes, I even consider, from time to time, the idea of having only one
fixed-IP machine (running dhcpd), everything else on DHCP with a
fixed-address specifier tied to each individual machine's MAC address,
as you have above.

The disadvantages:

1.  If the DHCP daemon goes down, your entire name system collapses as
soon as IP leases start to expire.

2.  Any time you change a device's ethernet hardware, you have to update
/etc/dhcpd.conf to account for the changed MAC address.

3.  Avoidable DHCP traffic.

In general, if it's generally useful for a device to always keep the
same IP -- which is definitely the case for a networked printer -- then,
IMO, it's far easier and less hassle to just statically IP it and then
just leave it alone.