[conspire] Installfest in Fremont

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Aug 17 09:51:14 PDT 2009

Quoting Bruce Coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):

> I hope Rick got his hardware working as easily after the event as I
> did . I simply shoved some x-11 stuff in and did some in and out of
> kde etc. using apt and finally got my success after stealing my .conf
> file from Anubis . Hope I'll have a gateway with squid style internet
> caching and desktop functions that will save a little power here ,
> important in summer . - Bruce

I was actually sort of worn out and hot, so I stopped at a Mexican
market on the way home to stock up on Jarritos, drive the rest of the
way home, and put my feet up, after bring all the gear in.  Since then,
I've not yet had time and energy to test the machines.

Likely, there's a single good 1U plus a few spare good parts, between
that pair of similar 1U units.  As to the VA Linux Systems model 2250, I
doubt it actually had hardware problems other than the one failed 18GB
drive that I yanked:  The load failures in its case seem to have been a
matter of a defective CD or two -- i.e., scratched.

This week, I'll find time to identify and re-burn scratched CDs/DVDs in
the CABAL collection.  (It's disappointing to find that so many of the
discs seem to have been mishandled and gotten damaged.  Please help me
in the future by being careful with my discs.)