[conspire] Warning to domain owners: renewal/transfer scam

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 29 14:05:30 PDT 2008

I've altered the e-mail below to redact out details of the target
domain-owner, at whom this mail was aimed.  The outfit doing this is
notorious for bulk-sending notices, both via e-mail and USPS paper mail,
that closely resemble invoices from one's current registrar, until one
looks at them closely.  (I've never been fooled, but I keep hearing
about people who have.)

This Toronto-and-Buffalo-based (and sometimes, Jamaica, NY-based) firm
operates under a variety of names.  "Domain Listing Center" is a new one
on me:  It's usually "Domain Registry of America" / DROA / Domain
Registry of Canada and several other variations.  If you Web-search on
"droa scam", you'll find many people's complaints about the firm, and
discussion on the matter.

Apparently, many people are in the habit of paying off anything that
arrives and appears to be a bill.  Reportedly, many domain owners who've
paid DROA pseudo-invoices are then surprised to find out, later, that
they have inadvertantly transferred the domains _away_ from their
preferred registrars, and into DROA hands.

I'm not going to repeat the allegations I've heard about DROA _as_ a
replacement registrar, but they're not pretty (and include ridiculously
high rates for subsequent renewals).  In one case, I've heard it alleged
that the firm altered a domain's Registrant (owner) field to list itself
as the new owner, at the same time that it transferred the domain to
itself upon receipt of a response to one of its notices.  (I am not in a
position to confirm that claim.)