[conspire] (forw) Re: [ILUG] Android gone Free

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Oct 29 20:09:00 PDT 2008

begin Rick Moen quotation of Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:59:16AM -0700:
>  From: Michael Watterson <watty at eircom.net>
>  To: john.looney at gmail.com
>  Cc: Irish Linux Users Group <ilug at linux.ie>,
>         David Dolphin <David.Dolphin at skynet.ie>
>  Subject: Re: [ILUG] Android gone Free

> Years ago I did a lot of ISDN and also analogue trunk protocol
> signalling. All this stuff (3G/GSM) is documented. You could in theory
> write your own stack. However if you don't mind paying an extra $200,
> buy a micro sized Modem Module that is essentially a PCB version of
> functionality of E220 USB modem etc or Sierra 850 and a general purpose
> ARM + LCD + Touch screen (plenty available) and add Linux. No phone
> stack needed. No RF drivers needed.

Bug Labs has a GSM module "in progress" --
  http://buglabs.ideascale.com/akira/dtd/963-567

Might be worth following if you're interested in this
kind of project, since the Bug base unit has all the
battery stuff onboard, plus all the interfaces you
might want for development/testing:
  http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/BUGbase

--
Don Marti                                               +1 510-814-0932
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org