[conspire] (forw) [sorbs.net #212641] [Webform] SORBS registration systems sends RFC-ignorant mail

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 27 11:33:43 PDT 2008

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> I used to have a sendmail configuration like that and nearly all ny
> Linux friends couldn't send my mail because they didn't control their
> DNS (or IP addresses)

None of the RFCs in question (defining SMTP) require controlling one's
own IP or DNS for compliance.  It's a matter of MTA configuration -- and
to my knowledge all common MTAs have defaulted to support for those
standards for quite a long time.

Of course, there are sites (including virtual-hosting sites and such)
that either prevent RFC-compliance or make it non-default.  For example,
BALUG's mail-hosting at Dreamhost refused incoming mail to
postmaster at balug.org for several years, and the gentleman (Michael
Hubbard) who arranged that hosting as a Dreamhost customer asserted that
it was impossible to make Dreamhost-hosted domains accept postmaster
mail.  It turned out, he was incorrect:  He simply hadn't bothered to
configure his Dreamhost account settings to enable that mailbox.