[conspire] (forw) [sorbs.net #212641] [Webform] SORBS registration systems sends RFC-ignorant mail

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Oct 26 11:31:20 PDT 2008

I've been aware for a long time that being an anti-spam person can lead
one eventually to be a trigger-happy nut:  Regardless of whether Sullivan
is correct about proper uses of the null sender "<>", he is not correct
about (quoted) mail originating at "From: devnull at sorbs.net", a
non-deliverable sender -- and _that_ is the main, characteristic sin of
CGI script developers whose scripts generate outgoing mail.

You'll note Sullivan's statement that SORBS also considers MTA Q}callbacks /
callouts an "abusing DDoS tool" regardless and how implemented (e.g., my
system that caches and reuses callout test results), and blocklists the
hosts that use it.  Oh well, so be it:  Can't make everyone happy.

(linuxmafia.com is not currently blocklisted by anyone.  I was just
trying to sign up at the SORBS Web site so I could check SORBS
reporting.)

----- Forwarded message from "SORBS Support (Matthew Sullivan)" <general at support.sorbs.net> -----