[conspire] (forw) Re: [ILUG] Android gone Free

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 14 13:18:19 PST 2008

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> One question.  What do you connect to?

I'm not a telco guy, and there were parts of that I'll have to look up
(e.g., "DSP chips to implement IQ-based demodulation and modulation" and
"PCB version of functionality of E220 USB modem, etc., or Sierra 850".
However, my understanding is that, while VOIP uses (obviously) generic
IP transport, the other stuff cited can connect directly to various
wireless telco providers' wireless extensions to the public switched
telephone network.  The only remaining obstacle then becomes
non-technical, i.e., them being willing to have you as a customer and
set you up for billing.