[conspire] Mounting an old Ubuntu volume that was on LVM

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed May 28 00:33:09 PDT 2008

Wesley is one of the principals of BayPIGgies, the Bay Area Python user
group.  He seems likely to attend the next CABAL.

----- Forwarded message from wesley chun <wescpy at gmail.com> -----

Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 23:41:57 -0700
From: wesley chun <wescpy at gmail.com>
To: Deirdre Saoirse Moen <deirdre at deirdre.net>
Cc: installers at linuxmafia.com
Subject: CABAL installfests

hi deirdre,

are you and rick still hosting these?  i have a bit of an install
problem i'd like to talk to an expert about. i had an old Ubuntu
(breezy badger) box that has a lot of important files on it. when i
pulled the drive and dropped it into another box, i found out that i
had used LVM, and now i can't seem to mount it on the new machine
(gutsy gibbon). do you think someone at the next installfest could
help me out with that?

thx,
-- wesley

ps. to complicate matters on that drive, i had attempted to upgrade it
from breezy to gutsy, but we encountered a power outage during the
install, and although the machine still booted from that drive, i no
longer had network access and wasn't able to get my important files
off it.

 http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com

Sure.  Next one will be on the 2nd Saturday in June, which will be:

:r! cal June 2008

     June 2008
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7
 8  9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30

June 14th.

> i have a bit of an install problem i'd like to talk to an expert
> about. i had an old Ubuntu (breezy badger) box that has a lot of
> important files on it. when i pulled the drive and dropped it into
> another box, i found out that i had used LVM, and now i can't seem to
> mount it on the new machine (gutsy gibbon). do you think someone at
> the next installfest could help me out with that?

I personally have no experience figuring out LVM setups, but it's
certainly possible you'll get effective help from someone during the
event.

----- End forwarded message -----