[conspire] Installing onto a new HP laptop

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 15 18:47:11 PDT 2008

----- Forwarded message from Benjamin Runkle <benrunkle77 at gmail.com> -----

Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 18:19:47 -0700
From: Benjamin Runkle <benrunkle77 at gmail.com>
To: bofh at linuxmafia.com
Subject: question

Hello,

I recently purchased a new HP laptop with Vista installed on it. It is
absolutely infuriating and I am wondering if you could refer me to someone
who could help me install Linux on it. I am not that computer savvy and no
very little about Linux, but I am not a total dummy. I would be willing to
pay a reasonable fee for the service. Thanks in advance,

Ben

> I recently purchased a new HP laptop with Vista installed on it. It is
> absolutely infuriating and I am wondering if you could refer me to someone
> who could help me install Linux on it. I am not that computer savvy and no
> very little about Linux, but I am not a total dummy. I would be willing to
> pay a reasonable fee for the service. Thanks in advance,

Hi, Ben.  The Linux community will be glad to help you at no charge.
To my knowledge, the earliest good opportunity will be at SVLUG's May
installfest at the new installfest location, Evergreen College,
southeast San Jose.  That's on 3rd Saturdays, so the date will be...

      May 2008
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
             1  2  3
 4  5  6  7  8  9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

...Saturday, May 17, this _coming_ Saturday.  Full details should be on
http://www.svlug.org/installfest/ .

The Linux group that meets at my wife and my house in west Menlo Park,
CABAL, meets twice monthly on 2nd and 4th Saturdays, so its next meeting
will be Saturday, May 24 (a week after SVLUG's installfest).  CABAL's
meetings are, in effect, installfests as well.  You'll find full details
at http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/ .

It would help if you can provide the model of your HP, and of any
internal options such as miniPCI-type wireless cards, so that CABAL and
SVLUG people can help you spot in advance any known problem areas.

I hope that helps!

----- End forwarded message -----