[conspire] Offering GPG/PGP Workshop at CABAL

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Tue May 13 21:43:26 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 13 May 2008 20:40:00 David Fox wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Mark Weisler
>
> <mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  I hereby offer to facilitate a GPG/PGP workshop at a CABAL meeting. The
> >  objective would be to introduce the basics of privacy through
> > encryption. We
>
> Followup:
>
> This might be a good time because there's a security vulnerability in
> Debian's openssl, may be a good idea to regenerate keys.
>
> http://www.net-security.org/advisory.php?id=8882
>
> And after reading Rick's writeup on gpg I jumped the gun a bit. I
> noticed that my keys were last generated back in 2005 and have not
> used them hardly at all.
> But my email address changed, and that's one reason to change the key.
What one does is to associate new email addresses over time to an existing
key. This doesn't really "change the key". It just associates more mail
addresses to that key. I'll try to post more on how that is done, tomorrow.
That way, the same key can be used for a very long time (until, for example,
one has reason to suspect or know the key has been compromised).
> But I couldn't revoke, because I couldn't remember the passphrase I
> used 3 years ago!
Oh. Well, without the passphrase one the keys are useless and one must
generate a new set of keys.

> :(
Here is evidence of multiple mail addresses for one key...

mark at oreo:~$ gpg --list-public-keys weisler
pub   1024D/0D25F181 2006-05-17
uid                  Franz Wissler (tap, rack, flip!)
<franz at weisler-saratoga-ca.us>
sub   1024g/8AAFFAB6 2006-05-17

pub   1024D/68E462B6 2005-07-26
uid                  Mark Weisler <mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us>
uid                  Mark Weisler <markweisler at yahoo.com>
uid                  Mark Weisler <mark.weisler at comcast.net>
uid                  Mark Weisler <mark.weisler at gmail.com>
uid                  [jpeg image of size 5582]
sub   4096g/86344DC1 2005-07-26

pub   1024D/D7EAE74B 2000-11-06 [expired: 2002-12-06]
uid                  Mark Weisler <markweisler at yahoo.com>

The jpeg is most useful if it is a mug shot as it helps people remember and
associate names with faces.

Crypto is a kick!

--
Mark Weisler
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our
mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
telephone: office- (831) 531-2916
home-   (408) 867-9377
mobile- (408) 568-1229