[conspire] Offering GPG/PGP Workshop at CABAL

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 13 20:06:29 PDT 2008

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 16:14:30 -0700, Mark Weisler wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I hereby offer to facilitate a GPG/PGP workshop at a CABAL meeting.
>
> Still no S/MIME?

Have you ever encountered a real-world deployment of S/MIME that was
_not_ a top-down corporate/institutional mail solution?  Those don't
need much community help, and I also cannot see most CABAL members
paying two Thawte (or whoever) notaries to certify their in-person
identities -- without which, the cert isn't much use.

Much of the value of GnuPG (and PGP, and the OpenPGP standard) lies in
the fact that it relies a broadbased, bottom-up web of trust -- in
contrast.