[conspire] NYLXS Press Release on the OLPC Project

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu May 1 18:02:22 PDT 2008

> New York English is essentially New England English with a bagel in
> one's throat and being mugged.
>     --Andrew Johnson
>     --Muke Tever

To be fair, I was only refering to 20th Centrury American English, and it's
precision is largely do to it being about the most bastardized language
ever to spoken.  And I agree, that when used skillfully it can be as deviously
vague as any other construct.  But that is as much a fault perhaps of the
listen as the speaker.  If someone says something that is meaningless, by all
means, stand up and say, hey, I'm not sure if that means anything.

But if you want to be understood, English is a damn good way to do it.

Ruben