[conspire] How to check if a mobo is compatible with

K Sandoval indigo.kai at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 06:04:16 PDT 2008

Hiya Everyone, Kai here.

I wanted to just run this by everyone really quick for a "double-check".
I think I have done my research correctly and wanted to run these
three items by at least one or two other people before I actually make
these purchases.

Background: here is the link covering the spec's on the motherboard
for my dad's replacement system that I am building.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=P4M890-M7%20PCI-E

Biostar's P4M890-M7 PCI-E Socket 775 motherboard
I have an Intel Celeron D 360 3.46Ghz Processor for this system already.
Based on the VIA P4M890+VT8237A chipsets, the P4M890-PCI-E
Supports DDR2 400/533 MHz memory up to 4GB,
OS will be :::caaah-ringe-ing:::   MicroSoft XP SP-2 for my Dad with
absolutely NO network/internet access.

Item 1) Do I need to purchase some CPU/Heat sink Jelly? Yes / No  ?
 I don't have any that I know of.
Arctic Silver AS5-35 Silver Thermal Compound
http://www.centralcomputers.com/commerce/ccp19974--arctic-silver-as5-35-silver-thermal-compound-fan-as5-3g-cpuzzzasas5r.htm

Item #2) I am thinking of getting one GB of RAM for my dad's replacement system.
I think this RAM is compatible, but I thought I should stop and ask
someone just to make sure.

Option 1)
pqi POWER Series 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Desktop Memory
http://www.pqi.com.tw/product2.asp?TT=1&cate1=61&PROID=98#1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141190
$17.00

Option #2)
pqi TURBO 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Desktop Memor
http://www.pqi.com.tw/product2.asp?TT=1&cate1=79&PROID=194#1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141202
$21.00

Honestly after looking at the pqi and newegg pages, I am not sure what
the difference is between these two memory sticks besides $4.00.

The motherboard supports the following according to the Manual and the website.
http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=P4M890-M7%20PCI-E

Support 2 Single Channel DDR2
Support DDR2 533/400 Mhz
Maximum memory capacity is 4GB
RAM Support 256/512/1GB/2GB

Single Channel Mode DDR2 memory module
**Registered DIMM and Non-ECC DIMM is not supported.

Item 3) I am also going to get my dad a new SATA Drive.
(I want to keep my 2 IDE drives that are set up on eMachine. I already
have them set up as lab drives anyway.)  This way my dad will have a
NEW drive and it should be more than enough for what he will need for
the next 5+ years anyway.

At first I was looking at this Maxtor drive, but changed my mind.
Maxtor 6L100M0 100GB SATA/150 7200RPM 8MB HDD
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=6L100M0-R&cat=HDD

I read that the VT8237R chipset has trouble with running the SATA
II/SATA 3.0Gb/s drives.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Throughput

""Backward compatibility between SATA 1.5 Gbit/s controllers and SATA
3.0 Gbit/s devices was important, so SATA/300's autonegotiation
sequence is designed to fall back to SATA/150 speed (1.5 Gbit/s rate)
when in communication with such devices. In practice, some older SATA
controllers do not properly implement SATA speed negotiation. Affected
systems require the user to set the SATA 3.0 Gbit/s peripherals to 1.5
Gbit/s mode, generally through the use of a jumper.[3] Chipsets known
to have this fault include the VIA VT8237 and VT8237R south bridges,
and the VIA VT6420 and VT6421L standalone SATA controllers.[4] SiS's
760 and 964 chipsets also initially exhibited this problem, though it
can be rectified with an updated SATA controller ROM""

I also read and that some Maxtor SATA 3.0/GB drives are not backwards
compatible to SATA 1.5Gb/s period.  After doing some reading on the
internet I figured this drive has a high probability of future
headaches period.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=719165&page=7

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1183635&page=1

Then I found this Western Digital Drive.
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822135106

And it looks like, according to the Western Digital KB that this model
is backward compatible via a jumper setting.  And if I want to/need to
 recycle/reuse this hard drive in the future, it appears to me that it
will be easier to reuse the Western Digital drive compared to the
Maxtor drive.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1506&p_created=1171663590&p_sid=VhPEH-_i&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NjIwLDYyMCZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9c2VhcmNoX2ZubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PUNhdmlhciBTRSA4MEdCIFNBVEEgMy4wIGJhY2t3YXJkIGNvbXBhdGlibGU*&p_li=&p_topview=1

I just wanted to have someone double-check my conclusions in regards
to the RAM and SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive.

I found a new Case, PS, and heatsink/fan at Central Computers in Santa Clara.
Tada!

http://www.centralcomputers.com/commerce/ccp64648--23cm48np-cooler-master-rc-340c-kkn1-gp-elite-340c-rc-340c-kkn1-gp-cascm-rc340r.htm

http://www.centralcomputers.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=22280&czuid=1206873904625

http://www.centralcomputers.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=19968&czuid=1206306899234

Thank you everyone for your feedback, comments, suggestions and encouragement!

I look forward to seeing you all at the next CABAL fest....

- Kai

p.s.  I am still thinking ((mulling over)) building myself a new
system.  I might need to put that off for a few months.  I will
continue looking and really thinking about what I want out of my
future new system.  Thank you again everyone for your feedback, you
have given me some good points to stop and consider before moving
forward.

Ms.Kai Sandoval

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/677/a41
http://people.tribe.net/da12c6fd-0b2e-4ba6-ac41-b760bdbe9675