[conspire] Ah, another test subject for this Saturday's CABAL

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 21 00:36:25 PDT 2008

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> SaaS hopefully will be a wedge that will allow Free Software to gain
> sufficient OS market share that it can start commoditizing even these
> non-Free SaaS offerings.

Software freedom necessitates, among other things, having my data
reside[1] on machines under _my_ (or my family's, or my close friends')
control.  That rules out SaaS.

Even if the only cost were privacy loss -- and most people have no idea
what scumsuckers the "data mining" crowd are -- I'd still say "no thanks".
We have a lot better things.

[1] In the name of perspective:  I'm willing to have a backup copy of
some of my data rsynced over to a paid online-storage service:  Read
contracts attentively, know whom you're dealing with, and know your
threat models.