[conspire] Ah, another test subject for this Saturday's CABAL

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 22:55:41 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

>  OK, thanks.  I might take you up on that.  Do I correctly assume that
>  you're downloading 8.04 betas of the Ubuntu Desktop images, and not of
>  the Alternate images -- and nothing of Kubuntu or Xubuntu?

Partially, at any rate. So far I am seeding both flavors of ubuntu
8.04 (i386/x86_64), and have downloaded the KDE 4.0 edition of Kubuntu
on i386. I haven't gotten the "other" Kubuntu - it seems there are two
distinct flavors of kubuntu in Hardy. And (so far) haven't gotten
other editions either - but will probably be able to get more variants
as time permits before Cabal time.

>  > and a new Mandriva [...]
>
>  Second release _candidate_.  Often, such a release gets redesignated as
>  the _actual_ release in a few days, if no serious problems turn up, but

One can always wait - I have had less than stellar experiences with
Mandriva in the past - it's the main reason I switched to debian :).

This sort of "hosted" stuff - application servers rather than just
running the stuff locally on your own PC has me worried and somewhat
skeptical. I really don't see the point, except when you had say a
lower powered pc and needed to do something that required a lot of
CPU, but then there's the extra step of having to get the data up and
down from the service.