[conspire] Inserting Ads Into Message Postings?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 6 18:52:39 PST 2008

Quoting Edward Cherlin (echerlin at gmail.com):

> I didn't see them until I told NoScript to give temporary permission
> to Soft32. Then I revoked the permission, and they went right away.
>
> NoScript is my friend. It can be your friend, too.

I've never liked the fundamental design aim of NoScript, which is "You
should be allowed to specify which friendly sites are permitted to
induce your Web browser into performing dangerous actions."  Quoting the
FAQ:

   When you install NoScript, JavaScript, Java, Flash Silverlight, and
   possibly other executable contents are blocked by default.  You will be
   able to allow JavaScript/Java/... execution (scripts from now on)
   selectively, on the sites you trust.

Yucko.  Sorry, the notion that carrying out dangerous tasks at the
behest of public Web sites just because they're on your buddy list rings
my bullshit detector:  If they're dangerous, they're dangerous -- and
it's smarter to ensure that your Web browser is unwilling to do them
_at all_, on any site, or equivalently that they are undertaken but are
prevented in some fashion from having deleterious effects.

I might be willing to trust a site's dangerous Web requests, _if_ I'm
personally in sole control of that site plus relevant routers and DNS.  ;->