[conspire] Reiser trial: Hans Reiser offers to say where the body is

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 6 18:31:21 PDT 2008

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 18:30:07 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: evals at lists.merlins.org
Subject: Re: [Evals] Hans Reiser found guilty

Quoting Neil Doane (caine at antediluvian.org):

> Uh...
> http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/06/hans-reiser-off.html

Well, I guess that's an object lesson in how difficult it is to judge a
trial just by its press coverage, no matter how thorough.  On the basis
of what I'd read, I thought prosecution's case didn't sound convincing.
Of course, I wasn't there to get the nuance of witneses' manner, and
had read only summaries of daily coverage from the press.

Article says Hans Reiser has hinted that he'd trade knowledge of where
the body is for a reduction of his conviction from first-degree murder
to second-degree, which would reduce the sentence from "25 to life" to
"15 to life" -- e.g., eligibility for parole after 15 years.
Negotiations so far have not reached a deal, but stipulate that the deal
would be off if forensic evidence showed clear signs of premeditation,
e.g. "two bullets to the back of the head".

Article also mentions that, before trial, Hans turned down a prosecution
deal for an 11-year prison term and conviction for manslaughter, along
with disclosing where the body is.

Scheduled sentencing will be July 9th.