[conspire] DNS vulnerability details

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sat Jul 26 09:16:51 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 01:38:27AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Hi, Ruben.  I'll just try to see if I can add anything to Ryan's
> admirably concise explanation.  (I probably can't, because unfortunately
> I was obliged to work on a server emergency in the middle of the night,
> and so am dead tired -- but I'll try.)
>
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
> > The first client resolver request sends to DNS.myserver.com on port 53
>
> This is not the hop where the problem occurs.  Remember, as I explained,
> even to the (questionable) extent that you can flood a client resolver
> library with faked responses to such requests, that doesn't buy the
> attacker very much, because client resolver libraries _don't cache results_.

So this is sort of ike why my browsers sem to be connected on high ports
all the time.  And this backtracking to source ports is normal IP/TCP
behavior and nothing needs to be changed from client bahaviors.

so I'm going to remove the old SuSE name server and install from the
bind site the latest Beta code.  How much tinkering will I need to
do with my named.conf file or the DNS records?

Ruben