[conspire] DNS vulnerability details

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Fri Jul 25 16:57:14 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 04:44:32PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
> > With due respect, I fail to see how random outgoing ports will provide
> > more security,
>
> Because the man-in-the-middle attacker, posing as the queried
> recursive-resolver nameserver, has to send a forged response back not
> _merely_ with the correct QID (transaction ID), but also delivered on the
> correct port.  If the delivery port for responses, the one used to
> originate the query, is always 53/UDP, then it's much easier to forge
> a credible fake response -- 2^16 QID value possibilites, rather than
> those permutations _plus_ 2^16 possible ports.  ~32 bits of variability
> is better than 16, when you're trying to reject forged data.

The first client resolver request sends to DNS.myserver.com on port 53

The server can open a new random port but sends data back to the client
on 53 which then has information on which port to respond back to.

and querry to the serve is going to go to 53 and wait for a response
and the be told where to post to next.  Seems like a lot of oppurtunity
to poison a servers cach still.  It might complicate broot force but
nothing that can't be automated.

Of a man in the middle, nothing is encypted, and you "in the middle"
so sniffing a DNS Servers ports should be not that hard.

I suppose I'm not getting soething here.  I can't help but feel that until
of criticle systems services are using cryptography, that we just continue to
go in circles.

freeswan had opputunitic tcp cryptography at one time.  I wonder what became of it.

Ruben