[conspire] Oral History of LinuxCABAL video

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 16 22:04:16 PST 2008

Quoting Adrien Lamothe (a_lamothe at yahoo.com):

> Found another Roblimo video, posted a few days ago. An interview with
> Richard Couture, talking about CoffeeNet and CABAL!
>
>      http://www.linux.com/feature/124064

Barely possible -- but I believe you've just confused "LinuxCabal" with
CABAL.

LinuxCabal was a community hosting facility that Richard and a number of
other people (including Deirdre) operated out of a room in 744 Harrison
Street starting 1999 (not 1996, as Miller, quoting Richard, claims), for
several years -- leveraging the building's two T-1 lines.  CABAL already
existed and was holding meetings downstairs at the same building;
Richard got the idea for the name of his collectively-run colo _from_
CABAL.

After Richard closed The CoffeeNet in 2000; LinuxCabal necessarily
closed down and completely dissolved at the same time.  Richard
(eventually) moved to Guaralajara, Jalisco State, Mexico, and set about
making arrangements to construct a new building -- which took quite a
long time because of local regulatory hassles.  Construction didn't
start until 2004, and he opened his new business a year later -- and
called it LinuxCabal.  That is _not_ the same business, but rather a
brand-new one, recycling the earlier one's name.  (For one thing, it's
not a colo.)

The new firm called LinuxCabal appears to be a network consulting firm
with a non-profit community-outreach division -- which is pretty much
what Richard has always done in one way or another.